Forums » Itchy Dogs

3 Sable German Shepherd Dogs with Skin Problems

• November 25, 2015 2:07 PM EST

Question submitted by the audience in our recent webinar: "The Itchy Dog":

I have 3 black Sable GSD's. I own several other colors. These 3 adults this past year they over night broke out with thousands of oozing festules all over their body. Bad odor, dime and quarter sizes. Painful.
    The 1st time a holistic vet gave me some special shampoo. Antibiotics.
    I gave Benadryl for the itching. They broke out in hives. I started them on predisone and it began to clear. I ran out of the shampoo and noticed a few fleas. I ordered more and gave them a bath at 4 pm. By 11 pm the same sable dogs broke out again with thousands of painful smelly oozing pustules. Took them to the emergency vet ($ 600.00) - the vet said she has never seen anything like this. Did a biopsy and some scope test. Said it was either from the shampoo which was prescription stuff or some rare disorder they did not know the cause of. What the heck is this? How do I prevent it and why is it only the sables that are affected?

Answer by: Andrew Hillier, BVSc, MANZCVS, DACVD

I am sorry to hear of your dog’s skin problems. I suggest that you see a dermatologist with the most severely affected dog if the condition recurs or continues.