Forums » The Coaching Corner

Lessons from the Trail

• October 16, 2015 1:42 PM EDT

Lessons from the trail ...

I am fortunate to live in Colorado where I can spend time outside in the wilderness. What I love about back packing is that while my physical body gets challenged, my brain has to stay focused on the present and the current situation. A day on the trail is also an experience in gratitude where I can embrace the sounds, smells and beauty of nature. This practice of being mentally in the moment is not that easy to accomplish in a busy hectic world of multi-tasking and ongoing interruptions.

Here are some lessons from my exploration of a passion that took me step by step over parts of the Continental Divide Trail last month:

• Self care is critical to your overall enjoyment of the day
    • Self awareness and immediate action based on your needs will prevent exhaustion
    • You could miss the whole experience if you are too focused on the end result
    • You need food, sleep, and good energy to tackle the tough challenges ahead
    • There is a mental freedom in doing the thing you most want to do for yourself
    • Preparation and planning are part of the process
    • You are the expert in taking care of your own needs - don’t let others tell you differently
    • Confidence comes from small steps of daily accomplishments
    • Ask for help and support when you have big projects 
    • Be flexible in your goals
    • Celebrate what you achieve every day

My biggest lesson was in the power of checking in and monitoring my emotional and physical needs on a regular basis over many days. When you walk into the wilderness, your safety depends on your physical ability to travel the distance, and to be mentally able to make smart decisions based on your changing environment. How does that translate into self care in the context of a busy and hectic world? Try asking yourself these questions every hour for one full day:

• How am I feeling?
    • What do I need?
    • What actions can I take to get what I need for self care today?

When you hit a big challenge - slow down and breathe. It only takes a moment - yet that breathing exercise will allow you to keep focused on your path.

If you find yourself feeling exhausted at the end of a day, what do you need to do differently to end the day feeling satisfied and accomplished? I invite you to spend time in doing something for which you have a passion. Allow yourself to fully embrace that activity. Enjoy the feelings that you experience in your own daily adventure. If you are struggling with your current path, ask me about coaching and how that could make your travels easier.