Forums » The Coaching Corner

Why I Flunked Meditation Class

• September 2, 2015 6:01 PM EDT

I know the value of slowing down, breathing deep, and allowing yourself to focus inward with meditation. It gives your brain a rest. Meditation has physiological benefits of lowering your heart rate and improving your blood pressure. Meditation can be a powerful tool to reduce stress. So, why do I have trouble meditating?

I can only answer that by saying that sitting still for periods of time - without doing something - is difficult for me. I can sit and read. I can sit and create lists or review my projects for the week. I can sit and have conversations or interact with friends. I can even sit outdoors and watch the birds or the weather - for a little while.

I do have one visualization playlist that I use at night. This is a short meditation that I listen to when I lay down just before going to sleep. This sequence seems to be very effective in signaling my brain that the day is done and, that now, I can drift off to sleep. Many times I don’t even hear the end of the program.

I firmly believe that finding quiet time - to allow your mind to be calm - is necessary for refreshing your brain, restoring calm, and for your overall well-being. Sitting still, for me, is just not very calming. I have discovered that meditation, for me, needs to be movement focused.

When my mind is working overtime, I need to move. I walk, I swim, I bike, I stretch, I move. To give my brain a rest, I need physical movement and activity. I need time to focus on the pure joy of some type of physical activity. I've experience great bursts of creativity while swimming. I can let ideas flow while I am physically focused on breathing in the water. I refresh and soak up the energy of nature while hiking in the woods. Just 10 minutes of gentle stretching or yoga can help me end the day with a calm and peaceful feeling.

I hope that, over time, I have given you some ideas and suggestions that will help when you feel stuck or that you have failed at something. Instead of giving up, turn it around. Coaching is all about you discovering the unique path that works for you. Just like meditation - there is no "one size fits all" coaching program or method - each session is based on discovering what works best for you.