Forums » Cancer

How long can a dog live with lymphoma?

• June 17, 2015 4:16 PM EDT

How long can a dog live with lymphoma, which is in remission, after having a splenectomy to diagnose the cancer, and following limited chemo treatments which were discontinued due to apparent damage to the heart?

• 34 posts
    June 17, 2015 5:36 PM EDT

This depends very much on what type of lymphoma it is. Aggressive lymphomas can have very short-lived responses to chemotherapy. Low-grade or indolent lymphomas can have survivals that measure in the years, sometimes without chemotherapy. A thorough biopsy diagnosis by a pathologist with interest in lymphomas can be very helpful.

• November 28, 2016 1:33 AM EST

Hi, I'd like to give a little hope for those clients and professionals faced with canine lymphoma (LSA). Quality of life is the ultimate goal, and some of us have been fortunate with treatment to get both quality and quantity well beyond the statistical averages.  

There are many owners in a global canine LSA group whose dogs have lived 3 - 9+ years beyond diagnosis.  

• My own Labrador "Fauna" was dx'd in August 2008 with multicentric b-cell LSA, Stage II-IIIb and is now 8.25 years since diagnosis - way out on the statistical bell-shaped curve!  She almost 6 yo and is now dealing with old age issues but not LSA at age 14 yr 1.5 months.  Our remaining time with her is quite limited, but for now she is still enjoying life.
    • a client's Sheltie dx'd with multicentric b-cell LSA, Stage II-IIIa lived 5 years post-dx/tx
    • a 12 yo Frenchie multicentric b-cell LSA is over 9.5 years post-dx and has my dog beat!
    • several other group members have b-cell LSA dogs which have lived up to 5 years post-dx
    • "Bree" in the LSA documentary "My Friend: Changing the Journey" lived 7+ years post-dx
    • t-cell - some have had 2.5 year or more survivorship

Just a sampling of what can happen with treatment, committed owners, communication and teamwork!     --Kathy Beil-Morgan