Forums » Behavior

Flooding

• 406 posts
    April 28, 2015 10:15 PM EDT
    A question from an attendee of our presentation on Disorders of Anxiety, Fear, and Panic:

I also thought that an issue with flooding is that an owner may confuse calmness with learned helplessness. In that the animal may no longer be reacting to the stimuli, but it is because they feel like there is nothing that they can do to escape it, so the pet more or less "shuts down"?

• April 28, 2015 10:45 PM EDT

That is totally one of the issues with flooding. That's why owners should never attempt flooding on their own. Heck - sometimes it's difficult for trained professionals to tell the difference between shut down and calmness. It's also important to keep in mind that some people (not me) are actually LOOKING for the shut down when they are doing flooding.  Because an unsuspecting client won't know the difference. So shady!!!!

It goes like this on TV all the time. Fearful of dogs? Like to lunge at them? I'll just put you in the middle of this huge group of dogs. Look, you're not lunging. Problem solved. UGH!!!

We could do a whole lecture on learning theory.  ust didn't have time to get into the nitty gritty tonight.  :)  Great question. I hope a lot of people read it!  

Dr C