Forums » The Coaching Corner

Why solitude is important

• March 3, 2015 4:24 PM EST

Have you ever just craved some quiet time ... alone?

I had two clients, just in the last week, who brought up the issue of needing some more space and time for themselves. The hectic pace of their lives and the sheer volume of interactions with people in their own home were becoming an irritation - instead of a joy. This brought up a discussion about the effect of not getting quiet time to one's self - as an adult.

This, I understand. I was a kid who climbed up into a tree to read - so that no one would bother or interrupt me. My mom understood my need for quiet time - she pretended to not notice where I was - even as all three of the family dogs sat patiently under the tree, waiting for me to descend. Now, I better understand the term "introvert," and how well that fits me.

According to Susan Cain, one out of every two or three people in the population are considered introverts. Cain has a TED talk and a book - "Quiet - On The Power of Introverts." Yet, for those who might self-identify, how many quiet spaces are there in your work environment? Most of our work spaces are designed for interaction and extroverts. In a busy household with different schedules and tasks that need "doing" - where is the space for quiet conversation?  If solitude is part of what matters to you - then finding the time to be quiet is important to your ability to cope with the rest of the day.

What are the benefits of solitude? Solitude allows you to unwind and rest your brain. The absence of stimulation allows your brain to slow down and stop processing information. Solitude gives you time and space to consider your own needs and choices - rather than just going along with the group. It is easier to focus and concentrate on a specific issue or project without external distractions. You think more deeply about a topic when you are alone. I consider solitude the antidote to too much external stimulation.

I avoid "big box stores," partly because of the lights, noise, and general level of activity. Am I a hermit? No. I like social settings with friends where you can talk and interact. I am not quite as comfortable in a loud, crowded environment where you have to talk over loud music. Solitude, for me, is a choice that allows me to replenish and recharge my brain, my energy and my emotional levels.  If a quiet space fits your needs - then put yourself in places that give you that space to recharge.

• Schedule time alone
    • Walk outside at lunch for a change of environment
    • Swimming or exercise can provide a space for some solitude
    • Get up early 
    • Meditate
    • Pause before you start on weekend projects - enjoy your morning coffee outside 

For me, the simple solution is to drink a cup of tea - alone - in my office without doing anything else. Just sitting and doing only one thing is enough to provide a calm start to my day. This week - discover where you can claim moments of solitude and enjoy them for what those quiet moments give back to you. Not able to find your calm center? Contact me for more ideas.

Warm wishes,

Gwen