Forums » The Coaching Corner

Are you an authentic leader?

• October 30, 2014 6:06 PM EDT

I've just returned from a conference on leadership - with 100 other life coaches - held at the Red Rocks Conference Center in Colorado.  I've been reminded of the value in listening to intriguing presenters and connecting with professional colleagues. Here's some of what I took away from that day ...

First - can you describe why you are (or choose to be) a leader? This was an interesting start to a small roundtable discussion on what constitutes a leader. How would you answer this question for yourself? I believe that everyone has the ability to be a leader.

Secondly - we all have a choice about how we respond to life. When we are clear on our choices, we are more likely to get the outcomes we desire in both our personal and professional lives. 

Here is a quick personal checklist (self-quiz) to assess your authentic leadership style:

• Are you a role model?
      Do you inspire a positive attitude in your team by focusing on the things that go well over the day? 

• Do you motivate?
      The best way to motivate people is to connect the meaning and value of the work expected to the small details requested (that may seem trivial). Help staff to see the big picture and share the success stories with everyone, as well as the key role they played in the process.

• Do you challenge and stimulate? 
      People are motivated when work is perceived as interesting and challenging. Effective delegation encourages self development and builds confidence in others.

• Are you aware of others? 
      List three things that the front desk person loves to do in her/his spare time. If you can't do that, then start asking a few questions to demonstrate that you appreciate the whole person and what they can contribute - holistically.  Be curious and learn a few things about the people you work with.

All of the questions above can be applied to you, too -  the individual. Do you challenge yourself and learn things everyday? Do you focus on the "why" you do this work, and do you stay connected to the things that you love (inside and outside) of your work day?

Please login and share your comments - I value your thoughts on this topic.