Forums » The Coaching Corner

Liking Your Work

• 149 posts
    September 9, 2014 12:11 PM EDT

There is a great article in the New York Times this week titled "Liking Work Really Matters," which I thought was relevant to this Forum and to professionals who are prone to burnout.

They summarize (as one would expect) that people who find their tasks highly enjoyable and important not only perform better, but they are also spared of mental exhaustion.  In contrast, those who are not interested in their tasks perform worse and easily suffer from mental fatigue. "Interest" seems to be critical, and that correlates with how relevant one views their tasks.  They also indicated that social engagement (working together with others vs. alone) can foster interest in tasks and leave people feeling less mentally exhausted.  

I thought this was great food for thought for anyone who struggles to stay motivated about their work (prevent burnout), but also for managers to consider in helping teams to achieve their goals.  Read the full article at the New York Times.

• September 10, 2014 1:22 PM EDT

This article is a good read and reminds us that we find things interesting and engaging when they are of personal value to us.  Teamwork or working with another person can increase your interest and engagement in a task. I think most people have good experience with that concept. I think that when the purpose of work or tasks are clearly communicated to all involved - that raises the level of engagement. It helps to know what your role is in the bigger picture of an organization. The front desk can seem like a minor role in any clinic - yet the importance of that first client contact is the first impression of the entire clinic.  A good practice tip is to remember to communicate that level of purpose to your office staff - how each role supports each other. When things get busy - it is easy to forget the importance of the routine tasks - or why they support the overall purpose of the clinic.  A good reflection question is to ask yourself - what do you like about your work? What do you see has high value activity - and how can you do more of that on a daily basis?