Forums » The Coaching Corner

What is your highest value activity?

• April 11, 2014 12:14 PM EDT

Here are a few ideas to help you manage your “stuff,” and find a sense of satisfaction from taking actions that move you in a direction of your choice instead of being stuck in overwhelm.

What is your Highest Value Activity?

What are the things that you do better than anyone else?  Make a list of all the things you really enjoy doing, and where you are really good at achieving results.  Consider the activities or areas that other people ask you for help in. Focus in on the things that you do that give you the most satisfaction.

I know that you have probably heard the common saying that "20% of your time produces 80% of your results." The key is to take pause or stop long enough to really define and understand what actions contribute to your best results, professional development and personal satisfaction.  Determine the key things that you do that contribute the most to your desired outcomes.  When you spent more time in this area, you would see an increase in results. 

When you focus in on one thing each day, you are less likely to get stuck in overwhelm at the end of the day. So many small things can add up and grab your attention, such that you find yourself busy all day - yet, at the end of the day, feeling like you did not accomplish anything. If that sounds familiar, try asking yourself these two questions every day: 1)  What one thing do I need to accomplish today?  2) What is the best use of my time right now?