Forums » The Coaching Corner

How to create stress at work

• November 2, 2013 7:53 PM EDT

Be in a hurry. Rush past clients and colleagues- let them know by your actions that you don’t have time for questions or consultations.  Be directive and give out orders loudly and at anyone you can find. Snap back at people who dare ask you for clarification so they stop asking you for anything at all.

When you do get a cancelation and have an extra 15 minutes- worry about how your schedule is overbooked and how exhausted you are. Do not take that time to return phone calls or catch up on paperwork- this might reduce stress.

When someone does ask you if you need help, ignore them or brush them off- because you needed help 2 hours ago before you got so far behind. At this point you might as well just finish what you started rather than explain to someone else what you need.

Does this list sound too familiar? I have done all of the above things myself at one time or another. All these choices did for me was to create more stress for myself and others who had to deal with me.

You have choices even on the very busiest days. When you know ahead your day is full and overflowing, let others know what you will need before the day starts. Communicate up front and ask each person to pay attention to their role in keeping the schedule moving smoothly.

Pay attention to the days that your schedule flow is smooth. What tasks or things make that happen- do more of that. Debrief with the whole staff on the days the schedule falls apart. Ask everyone what could be improved from their perspective.  If you pay attention to the things that work for you and do more of them- that will improve your work flow and systems.

You cannot ignore stress and expect it to decrease- that allows it to thrive.

So pay close attention to how you create stress at work and use that information to create positive change.

What have you found that decreases stress on the busy days for yourself or your staff?

Please share one idea.

• 3 posts
    February 28, 2014 6:34 AM EST

Schedule a 15 minute huddle early in the day to discuss plans for how to attack the busy schedule & factor in 2 or 3 twenty minute catch up times thru the day to reassess.

• February 28, 2014 6:42 AM EST

You are spot on- that short planning time pays off over the course of the day.  I think the catch up times are valuable time to allow for the urgent and unexpected events without falling into that feeling of overwhelm. thanks for sharing, Gwen

• 1 posts
    November 10, 2015 2:10 AM EST

Unclear work or conflicting roles and boundaries can cause stress, as can having responsibility for people. The possibilities for job development are important...Time management tips for reducing job stress. Create a balanced schedule. Analyze your schedule, responsibilities, and daily tasks. Don't over-commit yourself. Avoid scheduling things back-to-back or trying to fit too much into one day. This I have learnt through the important team who made my career successful.

• November 11, 2015 7:50 PM EST

Candace - that learning to say no is so critical to lowering your stress. Not expecting to accomplish too many things in too little time. Those are all great tips, thanks for sharing.