Forums » Integrative Care & Pain Management

PEMF in the Equine - Founder

• 406 posts
    February 17, 2018 5:47 PM EST

A viewer has submitted this question. Dr. Chiaramonte?

"I just watched your YouTube video regarding treating Molly with PEMF and other things for founder. My question is, specifically what part do you think the PEMF played? I own a PEMF machine and treat horses. I have the hoof pro boot attachments that I have used in navicular horses but I think it is effective for inflammation reduction. Is that the benefit you see in foundered cases?"

• February 19, 2018 2:17 PM EST

Hi,

Short answer - most likely its role as an anti-inflammatory. Another potential function is its role as a heat shock protein influencer. Several heat shock proteins function as intra-cellular chaperones for other proteins and play an important role in proteinprotein interactions such as folding and assisting in the establishment of proper protein conformation (shape) and prevention of unwanted protein aggregation. The key there is the PROPER conformation and PREVENTION of unwanted protein aggregation. However, I don't think we know everything about PEMF and all of its MOA's. And it all depends on the different signals generated by the different PEMF as all are not created equally.