Forums » Itchy Dogs

8 year old German Shepherd has been itchy since 6 months of age

• November 24, 2015 6:24 PM EST

Question submitted by the audience in our recent webinar: "The Itchy Dog":

I have a client whose 8 year old, long haired German Shepherd has been 'itching' since he was 6 months of age. We've had him to UPenn, done many complete blood panels, been to two different allergists in NJ, done skin scrapings, elimination diets, etc. He's been treated with steroids, antibiotics, etc., and still is itchy. Looses fur and entire coat occasionally becomes very sparse. It is not only seasonal, as this happens on and off year round. They did live in a wooded area, but after moving 2 years ago to an over 55+ community, poor Rockey is still itching. I've asked her to submit blood and saliva samples for the Hemopet allergy test but she has not done that yet. Any advice?

Answer by: Andrew Hillier, BVSc, MANZCVS, DACVD

The Nutriscan / Hemopet allergy test on saliva for antibodies to dietary allergens is available but has not been studied and validated in independent studies – I do not use this test myself, preferring a properly selected and controlled food trial of 6-8 weeks. I would be trying to work with one of the dermatologists that your client has seen to find a combination of treatments that provide the best relief and reduce the number of flares that the dog suffers. Remember, allergies need ongoing therapy, there is not a cure and controlling the itching by maybe 60-70% should be regarded as possibly successful.