Forums » The Coaching Corner

How My Responsible Brain Gets to Rest

• February 20, 2015 11:56 AM EST

What being a perfectionist and a very responsible person has done for my productivity ... 

I like to get things done and feel like I am moving forward with projects and goals. Who doesn't?

I have been experimenting with an online tool called Todolist. At first I was afraid it would make things more complicated, instead I am not having to search for scattered pieces of paper (where I captured my thoughts last night on what needs to happen this week or today). Like anything else, it only works well if you set up things in sequence - this applies to any program. Here are my best practice tips for success in any program:

• Break down every project into individual steps
    • List out every step as an action to be taken
    • Give yourself enough time for each step
    • Not all projects have to go on your schedule - some just sit there until you are ready  to start
    • Only schedule things that you actually have time to do each day
    • This one is the toughest one for me - I get excited about working on something and want to get it all done right now

A good reality check, that works for me, is to write down how much time I will allot to each task or project. 
    Remember to allow time to exercise, get outside, and take brain breaks. This keeps me feeling good about life and not chained to the never ending to do list.

So far, I am liking my new tool and enjoying the satisfaction of having my stuff all together in one place. This reduces the stress of feeling like I might miss something or forget something. That for me is the key - ending each day feeling good about what I did get done. I like the feeling of having things sorted and set up for another day. That makes it easy for me to let go of work and move into play. This is really important when you work from home - having a mental process that closes your office door for the day and lets you be refreshed and recharged while still in your home.

Explore what works for you - how do you switch gears? What makes it easy for you to close your work brain down for the day?