Forums » The Coaching Corner

Personal Accountability - Charts, Call Backs … all undone

• January 28, 2015 12:59 PM EST

There is a common and universal struggle for veterinary and medical professionals - to complete charts, update patient notes, and complete call-backs during their busy day, all-the-while still leaving work at a "reasonable" hour. 

Here is a classic example, and it's based on my personal coaching experience with a number of clients who have had similar issues. Please remember that this case example is strictly based on the issue itself - not on a specific person (as coaching is confidential). I will apply a "coach approach" by asking questions and answering them as a client might do. You are invited to answer the questions for yourself and see if you gain some insight into your unique challenge.

1. What is a difficult situation in your life? 
    I am staying too late at work trying to finish paperwork - which leaves me stressed about getting home in time to see my family. I have not been able to follow up on my intentions to work out twice a week, and our meals are not well planned. I keep getting interrupted by staff who have questions or I am asked to solve problems in the practice when I finally do try to get my notes and charts done.

2. What are the benefits to you, for keeping this the same? 
    I am the "go to" person for problem solving, I get personal satisfaction in being in charge and on top of everything at the clinic. I want to be accessible and available for both my clients and staff. I feel responsible for all of the outcomes of the day.

3. What are the costs to you in keeping things the same? 
    I wind up helping other people get things done. At the end of the day, I still have all of my own work that is left undone and needing to be completed. My personal and family time is diminished, I feel exhausted, and am pulled by competing needs of others.

4. What are you doing or not doing that allows this situation to exist?
    I am unable to say no when I'm asked for help. I encourage everyone to check in with me on most decisions, because it is very important to me that things get done just right. I am not taking the time to delegate many tasks that others could easily do. I don’t prioritize my own work - I pretty much just let others dictate what I get done because I'm usually handling things as they pop up.

5. What are you ignoring or pretending not to know? 
    I know that my staff is capable of handling more responsibility. Insisting to be involved creates a log jam - as other are waiting for me to check off or approve their action plans. 
    I know I could get more done if I was willing to close my door and have no interruptions for brief periods of time.

6. What do you want?
    I want to leave the clinic feeling satisfied with the day and how I spent my time. I want to have energy and time for fun with family or just feeling good about not having to take work home with me.

7. What actions are you willing to take or what requests could you make to get what you want?
    I need to delegate routine tasks and start setting boundaries on the things that should or need to involve me. I need to create a clear list of my own projects and priorities for each day. I need to have a firm boundary on the things the staff brings to me and what things are to be handled by them. I need to be willing to change my strategy for charting and start by doing some of it in front of the client.

8. When will you take the first action?
    I will schedule a staff meeting next week over lunch. My first step is to clarify roles and who is responsible for what. I may need to ask for their help in setting up systems for normal work flow that do not require my personal attention. I will complete notes in the chart before I move to the next room - even if it means I am making some of the notations while in the room with the client.

These questions are designed to heighten your awareness of the factors contributing to the problem, and to demonstrate the actions that you can take - they are under your control. When experiencing some degree of discontent or irritation at how things are going in your life, it is easy to blame the circumstances and others for your unhappiness. The harder path - personal accountability - is reflecting on how your attitude, responses, and actions lead to your outcomes. Changing the things that cause discontent or irritation begin with you.

So, I challenge each of you to take a good look at just one area of your life that has you feeling unhappy. Apply these questions as a starting point for looking for solutions. Test small changes and monitor how well they work for you and others. Get support by talking with your peers and staff. If you need a guide to assist and help you bring about positive change more quickly - contact me for a consultation.

Warm wishes,

Gwen