Forums » The Coaching Corner

The True Cost of Clutter

• March 12, 2014 1:09 PM EDT

I know when I get overwhelmed - the first sign is how messy my office has become.  That clutter will distract me from bigger and more critical projects.  I can rationalize that it is easier to leave the projects in stacks so I can see them.  The reality, however, is that I now spend too much time looking for that one piece of paper that I need for an upcoming phone call.  Does this sound familiar?  

Spring seems to bring out the need to clean out offices, paper piles and even your computer files.  Like any big project, the tough part is deciding how to begin.  The best practice for any project is to break it down into smaller actions steps.  But first, you must decide how much time you are willing to give this project of finding your desk again.  Once you do:

• Step one:  Schedule a time to clear the clutter - put it on the schedule.
    • Step two:  Go through all of the piles of reading, reference the material, and make a decision to file it, read it or throw it out.
    • Step Three:  Pull out the action items- set up a specific time to return phone calls or complete charts; Delegate whatever you can, from this action list, to others.
    • Step Four:  Set up systems for filing or keeping items - in a place where you can find them again! This can be a physical file system or on your computer. Only use your schedule for time sensitive things, not as a to do list.

Any system that you create that helps you toss out extra items on a regular basis will decrease the mental energy and time you spend wondering "where is it" and "what is hiding on my desk?"  Keep it simple, start small and have fun throwing out the extra clutter that does not add to your professional development or personal satisfaction.

My worst new job was one where the previous manager kept every scrap of paper and note on every meeting. It was impossible to tell what was important or just interesting. I began the habit of clearing out files every Friday afternoon. That simple action decreased my stress and gave me confidence that management secrets were not found on scraps of paper. It was the experience and interactions with people that made my job interesting and successful, not reading every written document in the file.

Ask yourself what is critical and important information as you clear out the clutter and free up your brain to focus on higher value activities.

• 149 posts
    March 18, 2014 11:15 AM EDT

Amazing how clearing away a pile of papers or journals can lead to a a deep and satisfying sigh of relief - it's really gratifying!