Forums » Ophthalmology

Radial streaks vs clumps of pigment on the anterior lens capsule

• 406 posts
    December 23, 2020 6:38 PM EST

This question was submitted during the webinar titled: PU - What's That? Golden Retriever Pigmentary Uveitis:

Why is it that the radial pattern on the anterior lens capsule is associated with PU, and yet the other “clumped” areas of pigment are not? Would a small area of light pigment deposition on the anterior lens and not in a radial pattern still be consistent with PU? 

Dr. Wendy Townsend, DVM, MS, DACVO responded:

The clumps of pigment can occur when a cyst deflates on the surface of the lens. This is the reason why the clumps do not say / indicate that they have PU. The radial streaks are from loose pigment which is what we see with PU.

We can have some radial areas, just one or two streaks that would be consistent with early PU. Sometimes if a cyst ruptures we can see a tiny little burst of pigment next to a collapsed cyst. That is not considered to be consistent with PU. Sometimes I will see some tiny areas of pigment deposits – not by a cyst and not in a radial pattern. Those individuals I want to watch closely to see if radial pigment develops. I often see them back in 3-6 months.