Forums » Wellness Wisdom

Old Habits Die Hard

• 149 posts
    December 11, 2016 10:15 AM EST

Just over a couple of months ago we proudly welcomed Dr. Marie Holowaychuk to our community and roster of esteemed Contributors. Leading up to that, I'd had the pleasure of getting to know her through a series of discussions about her professional background, interests, and endeavors.  

It quickly became crystal clear that we were aligned in a mutual desire to provide veterinary professional colleagues a resource that could serve to help them become more aware about work life balance and ownership of one's personal wellness. With all of the news stories and discussions about the stressors and suicide rates in the profession, we wanted to work together to provide colleagues with ideas and solutions for embracing their physical and emotional well being.

It's one thing to talk about a problem, but identifying healthy solutions or pre-emptive strategies and incorporating them into one's repertoire is another. And once you do, it's all too easy to fall back on old habits. It's kind of like joining a gym in January with a warrior mentality to get into shape, but fizzling out on the commitment come Spring.

As 2016 winds down, I invite you to reflect on "where you're at" with respect to work life balance and personal satisfaction and contentment. I know I have recently fallen off course ... my work load has significantly encroached on my "me time." And it's no one's fault but my own. I've allowed that to happen and it now requires an action step - an act of commission - to re-establish that balance.

Cheers everyone and happy holidays!

- Sheri

• December 15, 2016 6:19 PM EST

Well said Sheri!  I think we all occasionally (or often!) find ourselves shifting out of balance when it comes to work and life.  Be compassionate with yourself and know that it is nobody's "fault" (not even yours), but just part of the journey.  I am not sure that there really is a "perfect balance", but an ebb and flow of focus on work versus life.  As much as we can strive to keep both enjoyable and dedicate some time for self-care, then we are doing well.  Fostering wellness is all about ensuring that each of our wellness dimensions receives attention including our physical health, mental well-being, social connections, spiritual time, among others.  I agree that we should all take time to check-in with ourselves as to "where we're at" and which aspects of our life perhaps require some attention.  It is also important to ensure that we give ourselves credit for what we are already doing well. Your post is a great reminder to take stock and give ourselves the gift of self-care (or "me-time") whenever we can (especially this time of year). 

Happy holidays and all the best in 2017 everyone!!