Forums » The Coaching Corner

Do you have Spring Fever?

• May 10, 2016 5:29 PM EDT

What is spring fever? The common definition is restless and distractive behavior brought on by changes in weather and daylight. It seems that spring weather incites an urge to clean out my closets, start new projects and reflect on how I am spending my time. I use the wild ups and downs of the weather patterns in Colorado to refocus, slow down and think. Some days we get clear, sunny days and I just want to be outside. Then when it snows or hails again I get this urge to take massive action on projects and complete tasks left undone.

Why does the weather or longer sunny days affect our mood or behavior? I know there is a research-based answer; I am more interested in what longer sunny days can do for us. Do you feel like skipping work and spending the day outside? Is that an outrageous thought? Have you really looked at how much you work lately? What would it take to get you outside and enjoying the weather more often? Spring weather can be an opportunity to reflect, reassess and make changes that allow you to feel centered and happy with how you spend your time.

Is there a cure for spring fever? Yes. Get outside. Spend time on things that are just for you. Stop doing everything for others. Start doing things for yourself. Start with a change of pace. Slow down and pay attention to how you feel and what you really need. Then decide what actions will support you in this changing season. Short-term ideas are simple steps.

• Create a change in your daily routine
    • Get outside more often
    • Do something just for the fun of it
    • Be social
    • Take a trip for a day or longer
    • Be lazy and unproductive for a full day

A good solution for making a lasting change is to take a day to reflect and consider what you want from life. What do you want more of in your life? What do you want to spend less time doing? Dream big. Consider all options before you start making plans. Review your long-term goals. Break those down into shorter actions that you can do daily or weekly. Use this changing spring weather to create a positive space in your life for healthy change.

Learn more about Coaching for Professionals